One of the things I’ve learned as a mom of a toddler is to always carry a snack with you wherever you go. I try to look for portable snacks for my daughter that are also healthy too, so I was excited to test out these “premium puffed corn” snacks made by Cosmo Creations. I tested out 3 flavors: Sea Salt & Butter, Aged Cheddar & Cracked Pepper, and Coconut Crunch
- Non-GMO Corn– Genetically modified foods has become a huge health peril in today’s society, so its refreshing to see a product with non-GMO ingredients
- Gluten Free– I have several friends with gluten intolerance, so being madewithout gluten allows more people to consume the product.
- Less than 100 calories– You’ve all seen those 100 calorie snack packs on the shelf. These even have less calories than that, ranging from 60-90 calories per package.
- Flavor– The flavors of the Sea Salt & Butter, as well as the Coconut Crunch were very pleasant. The texture of the Butter flavor reminded me of a light rice cake, whereas the coconut crunch was like a hybrid between crunchy cereal and a macaroon. Both were quite addicting and my daughter enjoyed the snack as much as I did!
- Availability– According to the company website (cosmoscreations.com), they are currently sold in Sam’s Clubs around the US and other retailers and expanding. You can do a search on their website for the closest retailer to you.
- Portability– The individual serving size bags are perfect to throw in a purse orlunch box!
- Salt– The Aged Cheddar & Black Pepper flavor has 160mg of sodium, and honestly all I could taste was the salt. As a person who likes cheddar popcorn products, I was disappointed with how the salt overwhelmed the flavor.
- No Artificial Ingredients?– The label promotes “no artificial ingredients”, but the Aged Cheddar flavor has over 20 ingredients and includes things like “cheese powders” and disodium phosphate. By definition, no artificial ingredients means nothing was synthetically processed, but I’ve learned that this doesn’t make it automatically healthy or natural.
- Sugar– While the coconut crunch tasted great, it was very sweet. As a mom, I like to watch how much sugar I give my child, and 2 out of the first 4 ingredients in the coconut crunch flavor is sugary substances- cane sugar and corn syrup.
Generally speaking, I liked this product. While it raises some red flags if we are nit-picking ingredients and nutrition labels, they are doing a lot of things right to make this a solid product. It is a really good option for kids as an alternative to chips or even beloved fish crackers. Its equally a good, low calorie snack option for adults, one that tastes good and is actually quite addicting.
What are your favorite gluten free snacks?
I received review samples in order to provide you with my honest opinion on the products and fully test them out. All opinions written in this post are my own, honest thoughts. Your opinions may vary.
Melissa is a Communication Studies graduate of Clemson University. She recently traded in her human resources job for the best and most challenging career of all, being a stay-at-home mom. She loves coffee, cooking, crafting, and watching football. Melissa is also a former National Champion baton twirler and currently teaches baton lessons and judges baton twirling competitions across the nation. She recently launched the Honeybee Homemaker blog about her faith, family, and fun kitchen endeavors.