I made the cutest, and yummiest jello cups for Miss A’s Dr. Seuss’ Cat in the Hat birthday party and as I was making them I realized how great of a Memorial Day and 4th of July treat they would be too. Here’s the recipe for Red and White Striped jello cups:
4 (3 ounce) boxes red jello (I used strawberry)
8 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatin (Usually 4 come in a box)
2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
Clear plastic cups (don’t have to worry about the little ones breaking them)
Makes 12 cups (or more depending on the size of your cup)
– In a medium bowl, mix two boxes (6 ounces) of red jello with 1 envelope of Knox. Add 1 cup of boiling water and stir to dissolve. Cool to room temperature and pour 1/2 inch layer in each of your cups. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
– While you’re waiting for the red jello layer to set up start preparing the white layer. In a medium bowl, mix 1 can of sweetened condensed milk with 1 cup of boiling water.
– In a separate smaller bowl, mix 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin with 1/2 cup of cold water. Let the mixture stand a few minutes and then add 1/2 cup of boiling water to dissolve the gelatin.
– Next, add gelatin mixture to the milk mixture and stir. Cool to room temperature. Pour 1/2 inch of white jello over the first layer of red jello. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
– Repeat the process refrigerating each layer for 15 minutes until you have about 1/2 to 1 inch left from the top of your cup. (Making another batch of the red/white jellos as needed. If jello begins to set, place in microwave for increments of 10 seconds to warm)
When done your jello should look something like this:
To make this dessert even more festive consider topping with fresh blueberries or blue colored whipped cream. Break out your spoon and enjoy!!
(If I could go back and change anything I would have used smaller cups for easier and more edible portions.)
What are your Memorial Day Weekend plans??