What Happened to The Fresh Beat’s Marina?

June 20, 2011 735 Comments »

Nick Jr.'s The Fresh Beat BandMiss A loves The Fresh Beat Band on Nick Jr. and secretly so does Daddy B. {Shhh don’t tell him I told you.} Nick Jr. first shared this fun show with American families in August of 2009. Since then, the musical fun that Kiki, Twist, Shout and Marina bring have taught and continue to teach valuable lessons to preschool viewers, like getting along, not giving up, and solving problems as a team.

The Fresh Beat Band, was originally planned to be called, “The JumpArounds,” however before the show officially aired the name was changed. Following suit, in this past season, season two, some of The Junior Beats {the mini Fresh Beat kids} and the actor who played Reed, the owner of the Good Note Music Store were replaced. Is it me or does it seem like Nick Jr. is mixing things up with The Fresh Beat Band from season to season? Now that the third season of Fresh Beat band is upon us, things are no different.

Tara Perry The Fresh Beat Band MarinaRecent clips for the show’s next “new” season have sprung up on Nick Jr. touting lots of new things for the show, while also showing off a new cast member, Tara Perry. Perry will take on the role of Marina, who was originally played by Shayna Rose.

Allegidly, Shayna Rose is getting married and perusing other career options that are taking her away from The Fresh Beat Band. I know Miss A and maybe Daddy B too, will miss her dearly.

What do we know about the “new” Marina, Tara Perry though? Perry, age 25, has directed and stared in quite a few youtube videos, and had a tv appearance here and there, but her “claim to fame” is that she is The Movie Maven on Sci-Fi’s Mania.com. For more on Perry, check out her IMDB page she doesn’t have a wikipedia page yet, but now that she’s on Nick Jr. I assume that will be coming soon.

Although the “new” Marina still has red hair {noticeably darker}, and a turquoise and purple outfit, you can’t pull one over my kiddo. I’m not sure if it’s an effort to help Marina blend in or some new duds for season three, but all four of the Fresh Beats have new outfits, and on a side note hubby thinks that Shout has gained some muscle {that’s debatable, I think it was just covered by the collegiate sweater}.

While I’m not a huge fan of change, especially when it comes to television characters, she is a fellow Sagittarius so maybe I’ll cut her a little slack. Honestly though, I’m not really sure how a different Marina will affect the show, personally, I don’t think that it will, especially when it comes to the kids. I think they’ll be confused for a minute, get over it, and be dancing all over the room like with any other episode.

For NEW Season 3 Fresh Beat Band Episode Synopsis and to weigh in with your thoughts, check out http://www.mommybknowsbest.com/fresh-beat-band-season-3-episodes/.

I’d love to hear your opinions on the topic. What are your thoughts on the new Marina? Do you like the changes that are coming to Nick Jr.’s Fresh Beat Band? Is your child {or someone else in your household} excited for season three?

Who is your favorite Marina?

View Results

Loading ... Loading …

*******Check out my interview with Shayna Rose and her partner Elizabeth Shea talking about her new direction in life.*********

Interview Shayna Rose Marina Elizabeth Shea

Go here for Part 1 of the interview: http://www.mommybknowsbest.com/interview-with-2carats-shayna-rose-elizabeth-shea-part-1/

and check out these other Nickelodeon posts:

Shayna Rose and Liz Shea – 2Carats Trailer by MommyBKnowsBest

Fresh Beat Band Season 3 Episodes

Dora’s Explorer Girls: Dora All Grown Up

The Fresh Beat Band Season 3 – New September Episodes

NickJr Lied!

No More Moose and Zee – NickJr Changes

Related Posts

735 Comments

1. AMHybrid July 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM - Reply

I do not like this how this new character change-up has been handled. I noticed the change with the music shop owner but let it pass – peripheral character changes happen and the new guy still has some ethnicity albeit less. However, this change-up of Marina (Ms. Rose), a main character has been poorly handled by NickJr/Nickelodeon. Preschoolers need to be seen as little humans who are impacted by change and transition, probably more so than other age groups or adults as they are doing the work of recognition and association along with learning what is real versus make-believe.

To change a main character with no transition/explanation is as poorly planned and has implications far deeper than surface – recall when the original Bratz dolls came out with inter-changeable heads and feet!! And consider for a moment the non-verbal message being conveyed to young minds in this character change…on Blues Clues, the main human character (male) was able to say goodbye and introduce a family member to take of Blue whereas, on The Fresh Beat Band, one of the main human characters (female) is simply switched-out to another red-haired percussion player.

All acting for toddlers and preschoolers sort of has to be over-the-top or at least exaggerated and repetitive in order to convey the lesson(s). What I like about the character as portrayed by Ms. Rose was her musicianship and vocal talent and seeming awkwardness in dance – she wasn’t perfect but was a part of a team. It was good for me as a parent to see that a program could present a very human performer versus a product (think some D*sn*y alumnae and current) that functioned as a part of creating something both educational and enjoyable for my children to watch and learn. All four actors are required to act, sing, dance and use instruments – together their sound was believable and enjoyable and conveyed a positive non-verbal lesson that you have something real to contribute when you give you best to helping, supporting and uplifting your friends and believing in yourself – I saw that most often through the Marina character as portrayed by Ms. Rose. My 5 year-old and 15 year-old have both noted the change of character, the younger with some concern regarding why Marina went away. The Fresh Beat Band has been one of the compromise shows that I could get them to watch together, it will be interesting to see how they react to the new season.

• Stacie July 14, 2011 at 3:29 PM - Reply

Very nicely said!

• Mike Bates July 18, 2011 at 3:17 PM - Reply

I felt the same way when Wagon Train’s Major Adams (played by Ward Bond, who died during the series) was suddenly gone with no word of explanation. Hey, I’m not dating myself here, am I?

• willy kay July 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM - Reply

I agree whole heartily!

My 6 y/o shows no interest with the show now that they changed characters but my 3 y/o was the one who noticed it first and says that isn’t “her”. don’t know why nick would be so careless in this, i feel like it is confusing to children basically saying people can just be someone new overnight… and to make it more confusing, the repeat episodes have a different (the original) marina, so there is no continuity for the children… sure an adult can easily accept a role being played by a new person (we know story from truth) but these people are as real as mommy and daddy to a 3 year old… it isn’t a pretend show for them but real… heck my kids want to know if we can go to bikini bottom for vacation… they should have followed the blues clues path or just made her maria or martina or some similar name with a slightly7 different character… just one fathers opinion… btw i looked up the change and found this site because the children noted the change… IMHO, bad call nick jr., really bad call…

• estrella July 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM - Reply

I agree 100%

• Susan July 19, 2011 at 12:47 AM - Reply

My daughter calls her the “fake” Marina. can’t fool kids (she’s 4). They should have created a new character and explained the departure (I.e. She’s moving; her grades dipped and her parents won’t let her be in the band anymore; twist has made inappropriate advances – good touch, bad touch show)!

• JOe July 21, 2011 at 12:27 PM - Reply

The Wiggles replaced the yellow guy without an issue, so a drastic change isn’t a complete evil to do. That said, it would have been nice to introduce her as a cousin or something and the old Marina’s parents moved away.

2. Martha Anderson July 10, 2011 at 7:48 PM - Reply

I don’t like the new Marina. Quite frankly, I think she looks too old for the cast. The original one was more youthful and energetic!!! Bring back the original Marena!!!

• Jennifer July 18, 2011 at 3:33 PM - Reply

As I sit here and watch, I thought the same thing- the new Marina looks a lot older than the others!
      I miss the “quirkiness” of Marina #1.

• JOe July 21, 2011 at 12:25 PM - Reply

As if Shout doesn’t look 30+.

3. Halee Rosser July 11, 2011 at 11:37 AM - Reply

I like the new Marina. She seems like she can sing better too. My daughter is only 1 1/2 so she don’t understand change of course. But I can tell she likes the new episodes. I just wish they would show them more than just on Fridays. I did not like Shana so no heart break that she is gone.
    Welcome to the Fresh Beat Band team Tara Perry.

4. Rachael Morrow July 11, 2011 at 1:38 PM - Reply

Just five minutes ago, my son and I saw a new commercial advertising upcoming “new” summer shows, and the “old” Marina is in the commercial. This was the first time we’ve seen this commercial, and these advertised episodes are after the two or three featuring the “new” Marina. I figured Shayna was either getting married or having a baby, but this new commercial just confused us. Is she returning, I wonder?

• Jessica July 14, 2011 at 2:12 AM - Reply

I know!! Not even that but the first 2 new episodes were with the new Marina but then there were 2 more new episodes after that with the old Marina! That is why I googled this because I was so confused!

5. sherri stine July 11, 2011 at 3:44 PM - Reply

should have just let marina go off 2 college or something and introduced a new member for the gang. not just stick a new person in and give her the same name, my 3 year old noticed so that tells u something about the decision to just pretend everything is the same.

6. Charlie A July 11, 2011 at 4:02 PM - Reply

If the original Marina is leaving for other interests, how can you cast judgement so soon on the New girl. Relax and give it time. Kids will adjust, not a big deal.

7. Juju July 12, 2011 at 3:25 PM - Reply

At first I was a bit hesitant with the cast change…for those who said New marina is too hold for the show…she is actually two years younger than the older marina. I do like Tara Perry as Marina. She seems more comfortable in the dance sequences. The music seems to be better produced this season than the others. That’s just my two cents. My three year old recognized the cast switch but doesn’t seem to care at all.

8. Steve July 12, 2011 at 6:38 PM - Reply

They should have just killed her off!

• lol July 19, 2011 at 7:36 PM - Reply

well said

• Bob July 24, 2011 at 9:39 AM - Reply

Good one, Steve! Write her off as another 27 year-old rock star who OD’d.

9. Jessica July 13, 2011 at 11:06 AM - Reply

My daughters favorite character was marina. She is 4 1/2 and cried when she saw the new commercial thanks nick! Now I have to comfort her for the huge switch. She told me she doesn’t like the show anymore because she can’t find marina.

10. Marie July 13, 2011 at 4:02 PM - Reply

They should have handled it like they did when Steve left Blues Clues….he went off to college..so his cousin (or whatever Joe was) had to take over.

11. Daddy B July 13, 2011 at 6:20 PM - Reply

I liked the old Marina!! She was HAWT! This one looks too old and “manufactured”. Hot Shayna was quirky, funny, energetic and heck – I think she could even play those drums.

Go-go Marina, now Go-Go Marina, G-Go-Go Marina, wit ur found sound… S0-LO!!!!

And I’m out

• Jessica July 14, 2011 at 2:08 AM - Reply

new Marinas mouth bothers me!! It’s huge!!! And she overacts. Not as much as Twist though :-)

• Marquita July 18, 2011 at 3:20 PM - Reply

Yeah but i think we can all agree that Twist is the only one that is supposed to Overact. but lucky for my my 3 and 5 yr old didn’t notice but my 5yr old did notice the Jr Beats change.

• moni July 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM - Reply

i know the jr.beats changed like 3 times a the new girl does have a big mouth lol so not the same any more o well

12. Jessica July 14, 2011 at 2:07 AM - Reply

I LOVED the old Marina. I think because that is what my 2 1/2 year old twins and I grew up with! And I personally thought she had the best voice out of everyone. I am happy to hear that she chose to left opposed to NickJr asking her to leave, because then I would have been really mad! The new Marina is a better dancer but annoys me. My kids noticed right away that she was different. I will say however that I REALLY like most of the new songs they have, but I wish they would keep the old ones. Another reason I am confused is I have seen 3 new episodes in the new season with the original Marina. Either way my kids and I love Fresh Beat Band and the next thing they need to do is go on tour :-)

13. Azizur Ischinese July 14, 2011 at 10:49 AM - Reply

I don’t like the fact Tara Perry is playing the role of Marina. She’s to old and awkward, I understand the old Marina needs to pursue better things in life, but couldn’t of they found some one more joyful, and full of life?

• Azizur Ischinese July 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM - Reply

At least if they would have created a story line.. where Marina goes away.. and the new cast is known as someone new.

• willy kay July 18, 2011 at 3:41 PM - Reply

Absolutely!!!

14. TheKel July 14, 2011 at 1:00 PM - Reply

My 2 year old does NOT like the new Marina which means I no longer have to watch this show. YAY!

• ERIN July 22, 2011 at 3:28 PM - Reply

THAT IS TOO HILARIOUS CAUSE I CANNOT STAND THIS ANNOYING SHOW!!

15. LargoLalia July 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM - Reply

Wow. Get over it kids and parents. Go outside and smell the flowers, you’re too obsessed with your TV. Change is good. Raising your kids to fear change is a mistake. They’ll be uncomfortable and unhappy for the rest of their lives.

16. Expletivebmp July 14, 2011 at 3:26 PM - Reply

My Niece is age two plus a few, and she didn’t seem to notice, until, I pointed it out to her. Following this, she started pointing. But now, it’s as if she doesn’t really care all that much.

17. Anna July 14, 2011 at 10:38 PM - Reply

Even if Tara Perry is ‘younger’ than Shayna Rose, she looks like she’s in her 30’s or something. She doesn’t fit as well as the other four did. I thought Twist had the same outfit as usual? I watched the Fresh Beat Band with Tara Perry and was confused and mad and ended up frowning though the episode. I also tried to see if they used the same vocal track for some songs that they had for the old Marina. Haha. I’m not really a fan of the Fresh Beats anymore, but I still watch it, though I miss the REAL Marina. :( / :)

18. TheRichTT July 14, 2011 at 11:20 PM - Reply

Shayna Rose (Old Marina) was in my opinion the best fit for what the show is supposed to be representing. I feel that Tara Perry was maybe rushed into the show as a replacement and I don’t think she’s a good fit. To be fair I think we need to giver her some time to see if she makes some changes.

About the whole Marina vs. Kiki thing going on I would agree that Yvette Gonzalez (Kiki) has a great voice but she needs some good acting lessons. Too much of a spotlight seeker and continuously overacting. Shayna was a much better actress than her even if she couldn’t dance as much.

We all need to remember that the show is about characters that connect with our kids at different levels. Certainly not about who sings better or who the best dancer is

I will miss the old Marina

My two cents

-BB-

19. PetKing July 15, 2011 at 9:09 PM - Reply

Marina da best you’all
    da new one and kiki suckz they all look like my grandma ! ! ! !

20. Kim Z July 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM - Reply

My kids noticed the change right away, but they are almost 6. I think they prefer the old Marina and keep referring to her as the “real” Marina… and the newer Marina they call the “fake” Marina. It hasn’t stopped them from watching though.

21. Flex693 July 16, 2011 at 12:15 PM - Reply

my 2 1/2yr old grandson loves this show, as do i, so we watch it quite abit – i liked the original Marina – she was cute, energetic, had an awesome voice and definitely had musical skill. However, on a “dance” and music show not having dancing skill (mostly speaking of natural dancing rythym) I think would have been her biggest downfall.

Even with her lack of rythym we (I) liked the old Marina – she will be missed

22. Jordyn July 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM - Reply

I miss Shayna Rose playing Marina!!! She was always my favorite character. I’m not a mom,I’m an older sister and The Fresh Beat Band is my favorite Nick Jr. show out of all of them or should I say was. I hate when shows change,I’ve seen it too many times and I’m tired of it.I understand that Shayna Rose is getting married and doing other things with her career,but they should’ve found someone better than Tara Perry in my opinion.

23. Concered Dad July 16, 2011 at 3:50 PM - Reply

You stay at home moms are nuts. It is really not that serious they had to change actors for this cheesy preschooler show. It is still the same cheesy acting and performances. If your children are sad because a character got switched on their show then maybe you should explain it to them. Letting them know television is just fake and entertaining. My son been watching the show since he was 1 years old and now he is 3 still watching it and doesn’t seem to care. Parents are too funny how they want to put things off on television shows and stuff to “Raise their children.” Actors aren’t going to be in the same cheesy children show forever. I mean hell she was a actor in a Soap Opera. Its funny how people also made up numerous rumors about Steve from Blues Clues claiming he died, or got caught doing drugs, or whatever other demoralizing thing you could think of. You do all know they were all rumors right created by mothers who have nothing better to do with themselves, but to cradle their toddler like a 3 month old infant for the rest of their live. I’m done, move on get over it IT IS NOT THAT SERIOUS REALLY LOL!

• Kristi July 17, 2011 at 7:19 PM - Reply

It’s a little hard to take you seriously when you can’t spell. Just sayin’.

• marina July 21, 2011 at 12:34 PM - Reply

So if you don’t have kids that watch the show, and you think us moms are all nuts with too much time on our hands ..ummm what is your excuse for waching the show and bothering to comment in the first place???Just sayin’

• Eli J. July 23, 2011 at 3:19 PM - Reply

Its like you just read the first to sentences. He has kids that watch the, as he stated, his son has been watching the show since he was a year old, and hes 3 now and doesnt seem to care that Marina was changed. Next time, read for more that 2 seconds and dont make stuff up

24. SRW July 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM - Reply

Frankly, I’m just tired of the Here We Go song!

25. Natigirl July 17, 2011 at 7:42 PM - Reply

I am not a fan of the new girl. My 3 year old was inspired by Shayna to play the drums. She doesn’t seem too phased by the new Mirena thank goodness. I agree with past posts they should have taken a lesson from Blue’s Clues but it’s too late now. I honestly don’t like the changes with Reed & all the Jr. Beats but I don’t like change period. Lol! Anywhoo yes it’s a kids show but since my kids watch it, I watch it & have taken a liking to the characters. Bring back all the old characters! As far as the post tells us parents to get over it…Go BANANAS!!! ;)

26. Navy Man July 18, 2011 at 11:39 AM - Reply

Shayna Rose was my favorite character on the show! There is no shame in saying a hot girl is hot. even though the new one is probably in a higher scale of hotness. My point is Shayna had way better personality to her. Thats what made her so special!

27. Adam July 18, 2011 at 1:33 PM - Reply

Remember when they changed the one daughter on “roseanne”? That was a major step up and the new daughter was way better.

They changed most of the voices on the Simpsons from the first season which are better now.

They changed the mom on fresh prince of bel air and I didn’t really care for the change.

But the new marina doesn’t have the cute round young looking face that shayna had. The new marina is waaaaaaay too exaggerated in mannerisms and it’s uncomfortable to watch her.

Btw, kiki’s hair makes her head look 500 feet wide.

28. Beth July 18, 2011 at 3:39 PM - Reply

my little boy
    just thought she “colored her hair”. ; )

29. Ashley S. July 18, 2011 at 3:41 PM - Reply

my son was totally outraged although is was funny to he him act this way but I felt so bad for him. I of course was in the kitchen making lunch when I heard him scream, I assume he was hurt and i came running. He looked at me and said “mommy that lady (talking about the new marina) is a fibber! thats not marina and look mommy she took her drums!! ” I let him cool off and i tried to explain but what could make sense to a three year old at the point. good job TV producers you have just taught my child people are easily replaceable and now he is in his room locking away his toys so the new marina doesnt try to take them. not to mention she looks way too old for the group, it just seems that took what ever they could fine in a moments notice but that is just me.

30. Nazia July 18, 2011 at 3:51 PM - Reply

I miss the old Marina. The new Marina kinda fades in the background to me. I agree with most comments that they shouldn’t have just replaced her especially since they look nothing alike! There is a youthful disposition to the old original 4, but this new member not at all. Sorry new Marina you don’t cut it:(

31. Nickola R. July 18, 2011 at 3:54 PM - Reply

Im doing this on my iPhone so if I write something crazy forgive me. Anyways everyone has a different viewpoint on the whole Marena switch situation I agree with them all so far. 1st off we should enable our children to accept change but the T.V. Show could have had an episode where they say goodbye and welcome the new girl(like on Blues Clues) so that the parent doesn’t have to figure out what happened. 2nd the “new” Marina does have an annoyingly wide mouth and looks old but she still deserves sometime to shine. 3rd it isn’t that serious because these t.v shows come and go next thing you know your kid will be stuck on iCarly or the next big thing. I also agree with not having your child fixated on a show to the point where they cry about it, this happened over the summer for a reason… So kids will be outside and miss the show.. j/k but I somewhat agree with everyone. Bcuz I was concerned as well, my son is about to turn 2 and I’m pretty sure he has no clue, I just wanted to know what happened to her. Well good luck to her and all the moms out there!

32. Maria Vic July 18, 2011 at 4:04 PM - Reply

I think the right thing to do was to let her say goodby to the kids, what is the lesson here to trick the kids and teach them to replace people and not learn how to say good by or coupe with feelings??? they should have been honest and give the new girl a new name, oviously everyone acts different and have different personalities kids can tell it is not The real marina.. I think this way she would have been better accepted.

33. shakawiya johnson July 18, 2011 at 4:07 PM - Reply

i just wanted to knw what to the old marinas i just hope she ok.

34. estrella July 18, 2011 at 4:19 PM - Reply

Honestly, i think the new Marina does SUCK!!!!!

35. Meg July 19, 2011 at 8:45 AM - Reply

I wonder if I am the only one who thinks people are overreacting to this. Marina is daughter’s favorite character. She noticed the change and got over it. She still loves the show. I think there is something concerning about children being so emotionally affected by this, if what all these parents are saying is true. It is television, if your child can’t adapt to a small change like this, how will they handle more important changes? I think were raising our kids to be a little too “me” centered. While of course you should recognize your child’s feelings, it’s also important to raise them to be able to adapt and adjust to change and things not going their way all the time. I was just amazed to read some of these comments and how many people were acting as though their children were going to have psychological damage from this.

I find it hard to believe kids really care that much. I think alot of parents just like to whine about things and show how much they know about child development. These are the same parents taking their kids to the doctor every other day for some new “allergy” or other illness.

36. Gary July 19, 2011 at 3:08 PM - Reply

It was the same when Styx replaced Dennis DeYoung. No good.

37. Ashley July 19, 2011 at 3:23 PM - Reply

i personally don’t like the new marina. My four and five year old nieces were indeed confused. They should have introduced her as a NEW character with a new name. But as my five year old did-dance,sing,and move on-most other kids will too.

38. Jessica S July 19, 2011 at 5:15 PM - Reply

The new Mirena is so awkward. My 4 and 5 year old are not happy with the change. Personally Ki Kind is my kids least favorite character. I’m goin to complain to Nickelodeon

39. Carrie July 19, 2011 at 6:15 PM - Reply

I recently googled the change of Marina and it sent me to your blog and I must say; I want the old one back! My 2 1/2 yr old, Shay, has loved “The Fresh Beat Band” since 9 months. And has long claimed that her favorite was Marina. However, with this new change, I thought she wouldn’t notice. WRONG. She stated, “That’s not right” when I turned on a recently recorded show and when I switched it to a older episode, she replied, “Okay that’s right.”
    I wish Ms. Rose the best of luck in her new roles but she will be missed in this household. And I guess we will be sticking with the older episodes! :)

40. jacqueline e. July 19, 2011 at 6:34 PM - Reply

This is another case of breaking something that isn’t broken. I don’t believe she left to get married. You are teaching our children that everyone is replaceable, so don’t ever feel you maybe really good at what you do. Girls today can have it all career, family, friend, outside activates, marriage never stopped us from doing what we love. I think this was a stupid decision to think everyone would just fluff it off and not go unnoticed. Yes, change is good if it needs to be changed for all the right reasons. I work in a field that( it’ s never enough) and (what have you done for me lately)and don’t ever think your too good. I’m also, a grandmother who watches with her 3 year old granddaughter for an hour a day who noticed.

41. Andy J July 20, 2011 at 1:35 PM - Reply

The change of Marina was surprising, i admit. But im okay with it. So Nick decided that instead of killing off Marina, they wanted to just get a look alike, I honsetly see a few reasons why they couldnt kill off Shayna Rose. There only in music school and it doesnt make sense that her grades are dropping since if it did, then the whole band would of been dropping. And regular isnt show. They cant send Marina to college becuase regular school isnt mentioned and it wouldnt really make sense cuz what about the other members. They all look about 17 so her goin to college would be strange. And they live together in the same building and there has been no signs about theyre parents coming in at all, so her moving away wouldnt make sense unless she just wanna ditch the fresh beats. It seems to me that Nick really had no choice. I agree maybe they couldve introduced Tara as a new character named like Maryana, as sister or cousin of Marina who wants to be in a band and hasnt had any luck and Marina decides she should replace her. And its not her fault that she is on Nick Jr. Shayna left to get married and pursue other projects, nobody said Tara demanded to take Marinas spot. i find it retarded that even the adults are acting all wacko about a change. Look at the facts, not much of a choice. And they couldve found a blonde to replace Marina -.- be glad they got some one who looked like her. And Tara doesnt look that much older. In real life Shayna is 2 years older than Tara even, not that it matters. Tara looks like shes about 18 or 19, not like shes 37 so calm down everyone. Shayna had projects that prevented her from being on the FBB and im sure that there were auditions for new marina, which Tara was cast for maybe becuz she was the best. And it would be hard on kids and they dont understand yet that TV is TV and that the Fresh Beat Band are a band and a show too, but not to be taken seriously. They did what they did, and besides, Nick Jr has been saying that there a 7 new episodes they gonna air that have New Marina. Which means they probably filmed that before she left. So no need to complain. Besides, this MIGHT be the last season of the show. I read online that the last episode of season 3 is a clip show, and thats how they end most shows. But the change is hard on kids, but they should get over it though, its not that big a deal. Thinking of an excuse for Marina to leave would be hard, and im sure the parents would still complain how it doesnt make sense how she left.
    Just get over it! And the parents, you know its a show, i know that your kids may or may not like it, but your supposed to be setting an example -.- And kids ask a lot of questions sometimes, so explaining to them about introducing a new character whos replacing an old character would be alot of work to me, and seems like it may be even harder on the kids, they think that they hated old marina or something and they want to get rid of her.

• L. July 24, 2011 at 8:55 PM - Reply

First of all – paragraphs are your friends.

1. Killing Marina off – Ummm yeah…that would work…if basic change is difficult for many young (6 and under) children to accept, explaining DEATH will be easier? Really? How would you portray such an event on a children’s show? Have the old Marina being hit by a bus as she’s leaving music school on Friday, then rising from the dead in a completely new body and in class doing a show the following Monday? Wow…some folks have been seeing too many zombie movies.

2. As someone who has worked in the field of developmental disabilities for over 10 years, I loath the use of the word “retarded” to describe a situation someone finds stupid or unreasonable. There’s no better words to use instead? In case you don’t think words matter, ask someone with Down’s Syndrome if they think the word “retarded” is a cool word to use – I’m willing to bet you’d get some pretty interesting answers.

3. What is with some of the parents here criticizing the reactions of other people’s children to any event? Even reading a few chapters of developmental psychology will tell you that children develop at different speeds for many different reasons. Using your child (as some posters here have) as a barometer for how ALL children – regardless of age – should act just doesn’t make any sense. Some parents and their children are just perfect and everyone else is just, well, flotsam.

and finally:

4. Most of these shows have experienced producers and writers who could have pulled together an acceptable transition episode or two to tie up any loose ends and allow the show to go into a fresh (no pun intended) direction.

It’s easy to disregard the feelings or comprehension level of your target toddler audience, but to insult the intelligence of the parents Nick wants to watch the programs WITH their children is not a real smart thing to do; otherwise, why create education packets based on various shows for parents to do with their children?

Nick could have done better.

42. Korina July 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM - Reply

I felt that they should have did the something they did with Blue Clues, because they explain why steve was leaving and why Joe come. So kids would have to ask any question; said like”WHY” momma!

43. Cristin July 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM - Reply

My son has not seen the new Fresh Beat. I saw the music video and I knew from the begining that there was a change. I like the old Marina better though. This one just does not look right. I agree with the other mothers about going about change they way they did Blues Clues. Im pretty sure when my son does watch the new Fresh Beats, he will notice. It was eating at me so I had to google it. My boyfriend laughed at me saying I get way to into these shows. LOL. 50 hour work weeks and the high light of my night is watching Nick Jr with my son before bed. LOL

44. julia July 21, 2011 at 6:43 PM - Reply

i like the old marina she was a great gril

45. Dancermommy July 21, 2011 at 7:18 PM - Reply

If you look closely at the last taped episodes with the old Marina her costume was getting larger around the middle. I think that the old Marina was pregnant and decided not to continue to do the show. You can see a definite bump under her belt. It’s Much easier to get a new Marina then explain the circumstances of Marinas growing belly.
    Just something i noticed when my son and I were watching. Just a guess!

46. Ana July 23, 2011 at 3:52 PM - Reply

I definitely liked the old Marina better, this new one just doesn’t fill the spot like the old one did. My nieces aren’t too pleased with it either especially since one of their favorites was Marina..

47. Sami Jean July 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM - Reply

At least Steve warned us before he left blues clues and said bye!!!!

48. Monique July 23, 2011 at 10:30 PM - Reply

My daughter just turned 4 years old last week, and she noticed the change in Marina and continued to watch and enjoy the new show and new music. I have always informed her that television, especially cartoons, are not real. I always explain to her that people are acting and my husband and I make a point to tell her that, for example, the same person who played the voice of the fish in Shark’s Tale is the same person who played the voice of Vanessa the florist in The Bee Movie (Renee Zellwenger). She understands that people move about to do all sorts of projects and she is fine with that. I am not saying that our way is right or wrong; I am only saying that is the way we handle things at my home. I must admit that the new Marina, though seemingly older, seems to be a good dancer. Ms. Rose really did come across as sweeter and friendlier, but, we will give the new girl a chance…Best wishes to her and to Ms. Rose in her endeavors!

49. Linda Betts July 24, 2011 at 7:00 AM - Reply

My granddaughter just saw the new Marina on Nickjr, she is so upset. Says she doesn’t like the new Marina and wants the real Marina back. You can’t fool the children, they don’t miss a thing. Bring back the real Marina!!!

50. shane chay July 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM - Reply

i dont really think the new marina sounds right for the fresh beat band it all sounds different now sorry!! oh yeah and the new marina doesnt blend in with the show either :( !!!!

Leave A Response