I am not always the best girlfriend I could be. In fact, even though I have grown up and am still live in the same town, I have only one handful of local girlfriends that I would consider true friends. However, I have been blessed by a ton of friends that live many, many, many, miles, away.
In the digital world, filled with social media platforms, it is a blessing to be able to stay connected. Being friends on Facebook or following each other on Twitter is a great way to stay connected and just like any relationship, a friendship takes effort. Of course you have to make yourself available, but being interactive with your friends is essential.
Here are 10 ideas to be a better friend in a digital world.
1. Create laughter by sending YouTube videos that remind your friends of memories, fun songs, funny videos that make you think of her.
2. Remind them of your friendship by emailing goofy pictures of you and your family to let her know you still are you even though you are far away.
3. Be thoughtful by sending surprises via snail mail for no particular reason.
4. Plan get-togethers by visiting each other often. Even if it is an occasional girls lunch, or night out. If you can be together, make it a priority, (don’t forget to compliment her on something or bring a small gift.)
5. Hear each others voice by setting up time for all of your girlfriends to log on to google+ to share a glass of wine or morning cup of coffee via web cam. Call on the phone just to say a knock knock joke.
6. Communicate and bond by trying to find something in common that you have of interest today with each other. Whether it is your old college sports teams or the latest episode of Dancing with the Stars, watch it and talk about it.
7. Never grow-up by playing madlibs or silly games randomly. Play games that remind them of fun times together too.
8. Talk about abstract things by reading the same book and talking about it when you get together. Share thoughts and start conversations.
9. Be competative buy similar phones so you can play “words with friends”, “tetris”, or “scrabble” with your smart phones together.
10. Keep it real by remembering to go all out for special days in their life. Don’t just leave a 2 worded message on Facebook or text them, make it seem like their special days are special for you too.
It is hard to stay truly connected in a crazy world. With connections and a number of online platforms. We can battle the crazy schedules, sickness, and work but only with intention can relationships fully grow. Be an intended friend today!
Elizabeth Norton, is a former party planner by trade now turned mom, wife, and so much more. She owns a birthday party ideas site called Party Planning Professor. Elizabeth Norton is currently writing an ebook on how to throw a princess party. You can follow Elizabeth on twitter @Elizabeth_N.